Out of all the apple-themed autumn desserts on our list, perhaps none is more classic than a sweet apple crisp. Round up some fresh Adirondack apples for this easy five-step recipe, and you’ll be enjoying this classic mix of gooey fruit and crisp crust in no time.
Recipe yields 6 servings.
• 4 cups Cortland or McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
• ¾ Cup packed brown sugar
• ½ Cup all-purpose flour
• ½ Cup old-fashioned oats
• 1/3 Cup butter or margarine, softened
• ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Grease the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan with shortening.
3. Prepare the apples (peel, core, and slice)
4. Spread the apples in the pan. In a medium-sized bowl, stir all the remaining ingredients together until well mixed; sprinkle over apples.
5. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
Wasn’t that easy? Now for the toppings! Apple crisp goes perfectly with whipped cream and/or a scoop of your favorite premium vanilla ice cream. Enjoy a cozy night at home by indulging in this fruity fall treat with your special someone!
— Story by Anne Rathe