February is the perfect time for sweet indulgences with your beloved, and today we’re highlighting a romantic classic: chocolate mousse. With its rich dark chocolate flavor and light, airy texture, this decadent treat is perfect for a special night in with your sweetie, or to top off a fabulous bridal shower, dinner party, or engagement soirée.
Recipe yields 4 to 6 servings
• 4 1/4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
• 2 tablespoons espresso or hot water
• 1 cup cold heavy cream
• 3 large eggs, separated
• 1 tablespoon sugar
1. Combine chocolate, butter, and espresso in the top of a double boiler, with hot but not simmering water in the pan beneath. Stir frequently until smooth.
2. Remove from heat and let cool until the mixture is just slightly warmer than body temperature. (To test you can dab a bit on your bottom lip. It should feel warm but not hot.)
3. Meanwhile, whip your heavy cream into soft, fluffy peaks and refrigerate.
4. Once the chocolate has cooled slightly, whip the egg whites in a medium bowl until they are foamy and begin to hold a shape. Sprinkle in the sugar and beat until soft peaks form.
5. When the chocolate has reached the proper temperature, stir in the egg yolks. Then gently stir in the whipped cream and egg whites, adding the ingredients in small amounts at a time until they are all mixed.
6. Spoon or pipe the mousse into a serving bowl or individual dishes, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. (FYI: the mousse will stay fresh for about one full day in the fridge.)
Whether for a night in for two or a celebration for dozens, this sweet, creamy creation can’t go wrong. Some scientific studies even say that chocolate makes women feel amorous, and we won’t deny it! The sinfully delicious appeal of this rich, chocolate-y wonder is too hard to resist. Enjoy!
— Story by Elizabeth R. Davidson